Sunday 22 June 2014

Just Me


(Picture Credit - Internet by OECD org)

What’s poetic about a foundry worker’s son,
Born and bred in Leeds, now idling my time away
In a rinky dink seaside town? What’s poetic
About sitting on my laptop reading Facebook
And pressing Like now and then? It’s got me typing
Like a modern poet, no rhyme or metre to be seen.
I’m going to (roughly) count the syllables then chop this
Into verses. Then post it on my favourite
Poetry sites, plus my blog.

Perhaps there’s poetry in me being a Working Class Boy made good.
In me being a Pro Careers Worker after failing
My Eleven Plus. Even got to Grammar School
For a couple of years. Taught English for six.

The Internet is my Salvation.
Television too.
Is that prosaic enough for you?
Damn that rhymed! Knowledge and images,
That yet beget… and much more too.
No need to be there in person.
Just enjoy.

Paul Butters


© PB 22\6\2014 (2) In Humberside.

No comments:

Post a Comment