Tuesday 1 October 2019

Autistic Adam




(Picture Credit - LibGuides com)

I’m Autistic Adam.
Sorry for not looking at you.
I cannot stand seeing stares.
Just cannot look.
Sorry too for playing my electric guitar
As you try to talk to me.
But if I didn’t like you
I would have the speaker switched on.

Please don’t talk too long,
As I must have my tea
At seventeen hundred hours:
That’s set in stone.

And then I must attend
To my collection
Of football cards
And memorabilia.

After that I’ll read my maps
And study facts
In peace.

No!
I will not change my schedule!
The mere thought of that
Fills me with dread
And terror.

Sorry.
I cannot come to the party
You have arranged for me.
Just don’t do parties
Or “social events”
Or people
Period.

I’m very much the lone wolf,
Which reminds me:
Dogs and other animals
I love
With a passion
And obsession.

Give me a walk with a dog
Any time,
Or a cat to stroke.
But never
Ever
Try to make me change
My day
In any way.

Paul Butters

© PB 30\9\2019 (2).

 NB an autistic client of mine did refuse to look at me and did play his guitar throughout our conversation. But then I too have some autistic traits.....

No comments:

Post a Comment