Friday 4 September 2020

Streamings

 

(Picture from "Facebook" via Google)

My stream of consciousness is in full flow,

Tumbling down the page.

A cascade of words

Bouncing and foaming

Towards unknown seas.

 

No planning here.

No structure

Or direction.

Just meanderings

And oxbow lakes.

 

Free verse unfettered

By Draconian Rules

Or dogma.

Odd rhymes thrown in

Perhaps:

Casual confetti.

 

So what should I type about,

Sitting here in my armchair

In the silence of my lounge?

 

The sky is full of clouds

A blanket over this

September afternoon.

Perfect conditions

For composing this poem.

 

Should I put the world to rights?

(How long have you got?)

Or just indulge

In some uplifting visions?

 

I don’t do emotions very much.

The cork is firmly closed

On those.

Recall my early loves:

All unrequited.

Crushes

That crushed my very soul.

Memories of crying inside,

Unable to eat

Or think of anything except

That longing for love

Which never came.

 

So no

I don’t do emotions.

And seldom reveal myself

As I just did.

I’d rather let my imagination soar,

My eagle eye -

A soaring cliché –

Taking in the sweep of space

And everything below.

 

I see trees

And animals,

Mountains, coasts and oceans.

People milling about.

A scream of seagulls soars above the sea.

Waves crash:

A thundering tsunami

Against the brittle cliffs.

 

I have many voices.

From soft soothing lullabies

To grand orations

Full of pomp and splendour.

 

Music plays in my head:

A crescendo of orchestras

And songs.

Freddie, Elvis, Bassey

Clapton, Hendrix and Satriani.

Ginger Baker, Phil Collins.

 

Reciting poetry

Within my brain

Is easy

After Bohemian Rhapsody.

 

So once more to the beach dear friends

With Brian Wilson

And his crew.

Let Sloop John B be launched

Again

Heading for oceans new.

 

At last a rhyme

As attention spans begin to

Wane.

Enough for now

My loyal friends.

I’d best bid you

Adieu.

 

Paul Butters

 

© PB 4\9\2020. First 3 lines Written 16\8\20 in my big paper diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment