Saturday 25 December 2021

Peaceful Christmas


 (Picture Credit - Good Housekeeping)

For single, retired folk like me

Christmas and Bank Holidays are a bind.

Everything is closed,

No buses running,

Friends, like me, are staying home.

 

No pub for me today.

No squeezing through hordes

Of once a year drinkers

To get to the bar.

I’d rather enjoy my armchair

At home.

 

But the peace is pleasant,

A nice winter break.

Right now it’s all about

That baby in a manger

Being visited by three wise men.

 

I have a Christmas Dinner

Ready to microwave

And stocks of beer, whisky

Plus crisps

To keep me going.

 

Plenty of time to reflect

On another year gone

As seventy looms large for me.

Another year of Coronavirus Variants

As we work our way through

The Greek Alphabet.

 

Another year of stops and starts

Having to adapt

To whatever monster rears

Its ugly head.

 

I’ve kept playing table tennis

When the hall’s open

And walked to pub or café

When they’re not closed.

Doing well for a veteran

Can’t complain.

 

It’s peaceful at Christmas

That’s my refrain.

 

Paul Butters

 

© PB 25\12\2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment